There are many different types of juicers on the market. But which one is the best for you? In this juicer buying guide, we go through each of the major types of juicers so that you can decide on which one would meet your needs.
If you are
Broadly speaking, there are three types of juicers.
- Centrifugal Juicers
- Masticating Juicers
- Triturating Juicers (Twin-gear)
1. Juicer Buying Guide -Centrifugal Juicers
The most popular and cheapest of them all is the centrifugal type. They are good at juicing almost anything except grassy or leafy foods. Grassy or leafy foods should be used in masticating or triturating juicers to extract more juice from them. Centrifugal juicers work by grating fruits into pulp and then forcing it against a strainer at very high RPM.
Here are the advantages of Using Centrifugal Juicers:
- Cheap and affordable
- Great at juicing fruits
- Quick at juicing fruits. Great for those who don’t intend to wait a long time
- Durable machines
- Not so efficient at juicing grassy or leafy foods (as mentioned above).
- More wastage. Centrifugal juicers generates a wetter pulp than single or twin gear juicers
- Shelf life of juice is shorter. This is due to the fact that a lot of air bubbles gets dissolved into the juice.
- Nutritional value degrades quicker over time. Similar reason as above.
A Good Product To Consider
Some good products to consider if you are looking for centrifugal users can be found below:
Breville BJE200XL Juice Fountain
This Breville Juicer is one of the bestselling centrifugal juicers on the market. It is really powerful. In fact it is more powerful that Jack Lalanne juicer. The 700-watt motor has a maximum RPM of 14,000. You don’t even need to use a pusher for this juicer unlike other models. The design is top quality. It is very easy to clean-up. Spillage and mess is hardly an issue with this Breville. You do get a bit more juice with the Breville BJE200XL. The best thing is it is really easy to use. This product is highly recommended for anyone considering a top quality Centrifugal juicer.
2. Juicer Buying Guide -Masticating Juicers / Single Gear Juicers
Masticating Juicers are generally more expensive than centrifugal juicers but they are highly efficient juicers. Compared to centrifugal juicers, you will get a much drier pulp and less wastage. But how do they work? They are designed to chew fruits or vegetable fibres completely. Yes as in literally chewing!
By doing this more vitamins, minerals, fibre and other enzymes are released into your juice and the nutritional value is higher. This makes it really good at extracting juice from leafy vegetables, wheatgrass and herbs.
There is also a new type of masticating juicer design called the upright masticating juicer. It works just like a normal masticating juicer but it is more space saving. There is alos a dual stage juicing system used in these machines, making the pulp extremely dry! Hence NO WASTAGE!
Advantages Of Using A Masticating Juicer
- Operate at slower speeds. This results in less bubbles and heat generated.
- Higher juice shelf life. You can store juice in your fridge without worrying about the quality degrading over time.
- More efficient juicing. Even better at juicing fruits and leafy greens.
- Less wastage, very dry pulp.
- You can even use it as a homogenizer or a pasta extruder; something you can never do with a centrifugal juicer.
- More expensive
- Slower juicing times BUT better quality juice in terms of shelf life and nutritional content
A Good Product To Consider
For those of you who want high quality juicing with all the essential nutrients, minerals and trace minerals then you must get a masticating juicer, specifically the Omega 8005 Masticating Juicer. It is the cheapest masticating juicer under $400. You can get it EVEN cheaper here. It is highly recommended not only because it is cheap but also, it runs on low RPM, runs quietly, produces a very dry pulp and has high juice yield. Great for those who want to juice wheat, grass, plant roots or just about anything that is green or leafy. Best of all, the Omega 8005 juicer comes with a long 10 year warranty. How often do you get any kitchen product with that kind of warranty???
You should check it out below.
Omega J8005 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer, Chrome and Black
485 total customer reviews...
Check Out This Video on How To Choose A Juicer
3. Juicer Buying Guide – Triturating Juicers (Twin Gear)
Triturating Juicers are the most expensive amongst all the other juicers in the market. One machine can cost at least $1000+! It extracts the most juice but at an even lower speed than single gear ( masticating) juicers, hence more nutritional content in your juice and longer shelf life. Basically, lower speeds means less oxidation and aeration of your juice.
Triturating juicers work by pressing your fruits or vegetables between two interlocking roller gears at high pressures. The incredible amount of squeezing force extract more enzymes, vitamins and minerals into your juice. Just like masticating juicers, they can do more than juicing. They can homogenize food to make fruit sorbets or baby foods. They can even be used to make pasta or rice cakes. Yes, they can do a lot of these things, but you must be doing a lot of it before making a big investment in these machines.
Advantages of Triturating Juicers
- Higher efficiency than masticating juicers – higher volume of juice, can be 90% in some cases!
- Less aeration and oxidative damage – higher nutritional value and longer shelf life (as mentioned above)
- Less wastage, very very dry pulp.
- Very Durable machines
Disadvantages of Triturating Juicers
- Very Expensive
A Good Product To Consider
The best triturating juicer is the Super Angel Stainless Steel Juicer. It is costly but it will be the best investment for your health and your life! You will be surprised at how much juice this juicer can extract. Even the juice tastes more original just like the fruit itself. It is also very easy to operate. All you got to do is chop your fruits into smaller pieces or just put whole veges into it and let it work its magic. Cleanup is a breeze. The only thing you will need to pay more attention to is the screen mesh. Otherwise, a quick wipe will do.
After reading this juicer buying guide, I hope you will be able to make a better decision before buying.
Here are some other resources you can check out: